MONCTON, NB – Although we tend to focus on holiday activities this time of year, ’tis the season for fire safety.

Moncton Fire Chief Eric Arsenault says many of us don’t realize that wrapping paper should never be burned.

“When we stuff a wood stove or a fireplace full of wrapping paper and we light it, we’re taking a serious risk in causing serious damage to out homes and potentially causing a serious fire,” notes Arsenault.

Arsenault recommends homeowners get their chimneys sweeped by a professional and other means of heating such as oil or gas should be functioning properly.

He also says a working carbon monoxide detector and smoke detector are vital in every home.