MONCTON, NB – A well-known Moncton restaurant has been damaged by fire.

The Moncton Fire Department received a call from a police officer who spotted smoke coming from Vito’s on Mountain Road at around midnight.

Platoon Chief Rob Brine says when they arrived, they found a basement storage area that was fully engulfed.

Brine says it took them around 30 minutes to put the fire out.

Brine says there was extensive damage to the one room but there was smoke damage throughout the restaurant.

No word on a cause yet but Brine says the fire didn’t appear to be suspicious.

The restaurant is expected to be closed for a few days.