MONCTON, N.B. – The spokesman for the union representing Codiac Transpo bus drivers says he is shocked by the city’s actions.

The City of Moncton says Codiac Transpo is taking almost half of its fleet off the road starting Sunday, which means many bus runs will be drastically reduced or cancelled altogether.

City spokesman Paul Thomson says there are not enough mechanics to keep Codiac’s fleet safely on the road, and the ongoing labour dispute has made hiring difficult.

Union spokesman George Turple says he is disappointed.

“Egos and attitudes need to get over what’s been going on here and get back to the table, and get this done, before it totally crumbles.”

The union is in a legal strike position.

The city could legally lock out bus employees, but so far, they haven’t taken any action.

Thomson says city council wants to keep the bus system running for as long as possible for their customers.

“It’s that person that really relys on the system, and that’s why we’re doing what we’re doing in terms of keeping the system operating at this point in time.”

The union wants an annual salary of $55,000 for its bus drivers.

The city’s latest offer of $51,000 by 2015 was rejected.

No new talks are scheduled.